Providing professional and confidential

 home inventory services to homeowners

offering protection and peace of mind.

Since 1993

Call us toll free 1-800-631-7022


Opportunity - Home Inventory Services

are needed in your community.




KC Home Inventory

Accredited Member

of the

Better Business Bureau

What to do after a Fire


KC Home Inventory specializes in documenting and recording your personal property to insure that you receive a proper settlement if you have a claim. Let our professional Home Inventory Services take your worries away.

---"The service that KC Home Inventory provides is valuable to all homeowners because they take a professional detailed home inventory of your contents and valuable items, document them and completely maintain your privacy. It is a tremendous asset to both the homeowner and the insurance company. In many instances it makes the client realize the amount of valuables that one really possesses. The fact that an ongoing inventory update can be maintained with KC Home Inventory allows for easy updates and continued assurances." RS Insurance Agency

1. Make temporary repairs.  Make temporary repairs to prevent further weather related damage. Cover holes in the roof, walls, doors and windows with plastic or boards. Be careful not to risk your own safety in making the repairs.

Save receipts for any material you buy. Your insurance company will reimburse you for the cost.

Beware of building contractors that encourage you to spend a lot of money on temporary repairs. Remember that payments for temporary repairs are part of the total settlement. If you pay a contractor a large sum for a temporary repair job, you may not have enough money for permanent repairs.

Don't make extensive permanent repairs until after the claims adjuster has been to your home and assessed the damage.

Avoid using electrical appliances, including stereos and television sets, that have been exposed to water unless they've been checked by a technician.

 2. Call your insurance agent or insurance company. Report the damage to your insurance agent or insurance company representative. Ask questions such as: Am I covered? Does my claim exceed my deductible? (Your deductible is the amount of loss you agree to pay yourself when you buy a policy.) How long will it take to process my claim? Will I need to obtain estimates for repairs to structural damage?

 3. Save receipts for additional living expenses. Most homeowners policies cover additional living expenses such as food and housing costs, telephone or utility installation costs in a temporary residence, extra transportation costs to and from work or school, relocation and storage expenses and furniture rental for a temporary residence. Your insurance company will usually advance you money for these expenses. The payments will be part of the final claim settlement. Let your insurance company know where you can be reached so that the claims adjuster can give you a check.

The maximum amount available to pay for such expenses is generally equal to 20 percent of the insurance on your home. So on a home insured for $100,000, up to $20,000 would be available. This amount is in addition to the $100,000 to pay for repairs or to rebuild your home. Some insurance companies pay more than 20 percent. Others limit additional living expenses to the amount actually spent during a certain period of time, such as 12 months, instead of a maximum percentage of the policy limit.

 4. Preparing for the adjuster's visit. The claims process may begin in one of two ways.

Your insurance company may send you a claim form, known as a "proof of loss form," to complete.

An adjuster may visit your home first, before you're asked to fill out any forms. (An adjuster is a person professionally trained to assess the damage.) Usually, the more information you have about your damaged home and belongings the faster your claim can be settled.

Major disasters make enormous demands on insurance company personnel. Your adjuster generally will come prepared to do a thorough and complete study of the damage to your home. However, the large number of claims may place time restrictions on adjusters forcing them to "scope the loss." If your adjuster doesn't make a complete evaluation of the loss on the first visit, try to set up an appointment for a second visit.

Be sure to keep copies of lists and other documents you submit to your insurance company. Also keep copies of whatever paperwork your insurance company gives you.

Personal Belongings

Make lists of the damaged items.  Include the brand names and model numbers of appliances and electronic equipment.  If possible, take photographs of the damage. Don't forget to list items such as clothing, sports equipment, tools, china, linens, outside furniture, holiday decorations and hobby materials.

Use your home inventory or put together a set of records - old receipts, bills and photographs - to help establish the price and age of everything that needs to be replaced or repaired.

If your property was destroyed or you no longer have any records, you will have to work from memory.  Try to picture the contents of every room and then write a description of what was there. Try also to remember where and when you bought each piece and about how much you paid.
Don't throw out damaged furniture and other expensive items because the adjuster will want to see them.

Structure of Your Home

Identify the structural damage to your home and other buildings on your premises, like a garage, tool shed or in-ground swimming pool.
Make a list of everything you would like to show the adjuster when he or she arrives. This should include cracks in the walls, damage to the floor or ceiling and missing roof tiles. If structural damage is likely even though you can't see any signs of it, discuss this with your adjuster. In some cases, the adjuster may recommend hiring a licensed engineer or architect to inspect the property.

Have the electrical system checked. Most insurance companies pay for such inspections.
Get written bids from reliable, licensed contractors on the repair work. The bids should include details of the materials to be used and prices on a line-by-line basis.

Public Adjusters

Your insurance company provides an adjuster at no charge to you. You also may be contacted by adjusters who have no relationship with your insurance company and charge a fee for their services. These are known as public adjusters. You may use a public adjuster to help you in settling your claim.
Public adjusters may charge you as much as 15 percent of the total value of your settlement for his or her services. The fee isn't covered by your insurance policy. Sometimes after a disaster, the percentage that public adjusters may charge is set by the insurance department.
If you decide to use a public adjuster, first check his or her qualifications by calling your state insurance department. Ask your agent, a lawyer or friends and associates for the name of a professional adjuster they can recommend. Avoid individuals who go from door to door after a major disaster unless you are sure they are qualified.


The settlement amount depends on which type of policy you have. Having inadequate insurance can affect the settlement amount.

1. The Difference between Replacement Cost and Actual Cash Value
Replacement cost is the dollar amount needed to replace a damaged item with one of similar kind and quality without deducting for depreciation - the decrease in value due to age, wear and tear and other factors. An actual cash value policy pays the amount needed to replace the item minus depreciation.

Suppose, for example, a tree fell through the roof onto your eight-year-old washing machine. If you had a replacement cost policy for the contents of your home, the insurance company would pay to replace the old machine with a new one. If you had an actual cash value policy, the company would pay only a percentage of the cost of a new washing machine because a machine that has been used for eight years would be worth less than its original cost. Suppose, also, that the tree damaged your 15-year-old roof so badly that it had to be completely replaced. If you had a replacement cost policy, the insurance company would pay the full cost of installing a new roof. If you had an actual cash value policy, it would pay a smaller percentage of the cost of replacing it.

2. Extended and Guaranteed Replacement Cost
Extended Replacement Cost: If your home was damaged beyond repair, a typical homeowners policy will pay to replace your home up to the limit of the policy. Where the value of your insurance policy has kept up with increases in local building costs, a dwelling like the one that was destroyed generally can be rebuilt for an amount that's within the policy limit. However, some insurance companies offer a replacement cost policy that will pay a certain percentage over the limit to rebuild your home - 20 percent or more, depending on the insurer - so that if building costs go up unexpectedly, you will have extra funds to cover the bill.

Guaranteed Replacement Cost: Sometimes after a widespread disaster, a large demand for construction workers and materials drives up prices. A few insurance companies still offer a guaranteed replacement cost policy that pays whatever it costs to rebuild your home as it was before the disaster. But neither a guaranteed or extended replacement cost policy will pay for a house that's better than the one that was destroyed.


What is a Home Inventory?

Read more about our Home Inventory Services

The value recorded for the items in your Home Inventory will help you and your insurance agent determine if you have adequate coverage to replace everything in the event of a loss however large or small.


Having a professional third party service

 provide home inventory services will:


  • Complete your protection process while easily keeping it up-to-date

  • Ensure larger, faster and more accurate claim settlements

  • Document all your possessions for many uses including estate planning

Contact us today for an independent Home Inventory Specialist in your area


Business Opportunity: Learn how to start a Home Inventory Service



| Home What is a Home Inventory Business Opportunity About Us Services Contact Privacy Policy Site Ins Basics Ins Buy Claims Resources News FAQ's |
Copyright and trademark, All Web site design, text, graphics, and the selection and arrangement thereof,

are the property of KC Home Inventory and are copyright  KC Home Inventory. All rights reserved.